Tuesday 5 January 2021

"I grow old ... I grow old ...

 I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."


The Guardian today suggested T. S Eliot reading 'The Journey of the Magi', which is a wonderful poem, but once I was on the page I clicked on 'The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock', which we did for A level, and went on a lovely nostalgia trip. I particularly love the description of the fog at the beginning. It is funny how something from so long ago can feel so familiar. On searching his name I discovered that my teacher Mr Griffith-Jones died back in 2011. He was not your normal english teacher. We spent the first half of our A level course studying things that were not on the curriculum, because he genuinely loved literature and wanted us to care too, and to some extent I would say he influenced my ongoing reading life. He gave us a printed sheet of recommended reading, and in all likelihood I still have it somewhere.
 
Stay safe. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.