Thursday 5 January 2012

Find a penny

"We are all of us lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde
but for those of us who spend far too much time tromping the streets and watching the ground in front of them instead of daydreaming there are small perks. It started with a plan to collect £1 and do a lottery experiment, to test if 'lucky pennies' found on the street were more fortunate than earned money, but it snowballed from there and this pile, which amounts to £40.50, is the result of a year of picking up change from the pavements of south Manchester (though one of the fivers was found in the Arndale). This does not include the €10 note that is now winging it's way to Tenerife with Tish or the £2 that I gave to Creature for her bus fare, or the small collection of foreign coins that are no use to anyone. Some are so rusty as to be almost unrecognisable, I didn't think money was supposed to rust, who knows. It feels like (and is in fact) free money, that I am now going to fritter away on something frittery.

6 comments:

  1. what a nice perk, Martine! Happy frittering - I hope you have fun spending it! And Happy New Year - I hope your writing and reading year will be as productive as 2011!
    We must meet up again for a coffee so I can return your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely project. A poem in the making, for sure!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My auntie is one to collect pennies she finds discarded on pavements or wherever! She has an amazing collection! And I'm always amazed at how much she accumulates! So well done you!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing - all in one year?!
    I just got a cute piggy bank, maybe I should start keeping my eyes open... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought myself a beautiful red velvet coat in the Monsoon sale this afternoon ... exactly £40, feeling very pleased with it.
    thanks for stopping by everyone
    much love
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds exactly the right treat for such a special sum - you will smile every time you wear it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin