Sunday, 19 April 2009

Sunday felting

I am feeling a bit crap today, so as not to dwell on this and feel sorry for myself I got up and "did stuff". I dyed the hanks of homespun merino that I have been doing over the last few weeks. There are four of them, probably (I have neglected to weigh them or measure the yardage) about 200g or so. I decided on reds and yellows and managed to recreate the bright blood red that Tish got when we did some a few weeks ago. It is a mixture of the magenta red and yellow, we were anticipating something a bit more orange but apparently not. They are currently wrapped up in the not-so-hot hot cupboard (the heating has not been on much since the weather turned nicer). I will rinse them after work tomorrow and photograph them for you.
I have been thinking for a while about further felting experiments. I wanted to do something more densely coloured so I picked out the pinks, purples and blues from my stash and just kind of swirled them round each other, mostly pulling out two colours together to get a more gently blended effect. The initial layout measures 20" by 18" and the post-felting measurement is approximately 12" by 12"

I have come to the conclusion that I need to be more careful with the thickness of the initial layers and I am guessing that uneven thickness is what causes it to felt so unevenly. I have tugged this around quite a bit while still damp to try and make it a bit more square. I am quite pleased with how it has come out as the pattern has remained quite distinct.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin