Tuesday 28 April 2020

100 Days - Day 3 Wildlife

wikimedia commons
Dunk shared a nice photo of the heron. The nest that 'our' coots have built contains nearly as much rubbish as twigs, the one in this picture is much more photogenic. I don't have a thingy to take photos when I am out. It is one of the few things that makes me even consider getting a smart phone. At the weekend the coots in Alexandra Park had two cootlings (cootlets ... cootles ... whatever baby coots are called), but now they only have one. I wonder if coots can count. Even if not I assume they notice that one is missing. I have mentioned before how much I like even the most tame of encounters with wildlife. Are waterfowl on a pond in an urban park really wildlife? I am not sure. I do miss the countryside for that reason. Although there are plenty of foxes in the city I used to love to see buzzards, and once even a live badger (as opposed to the numerous dead ones). 
Have got Louis and Aila on the Osprey Cam loaded in another tab, you can just sit and watch them, waiting for the chicks to hatch. They are, I said to Toby, the most magnificent of birds. He disagreed and said that no, the emu is the most magnificent of birds ... because of the Emu War.

"The unsuccessful attempts to curb the population of emus, a large flightless bird, indigenous to Australia, employed soldiers armed with Lewis guns, - leading the media to adopt the name "Emu War" when referring to the incident. While a number of the birds were killed, the emu population persisted and continued to cause crop destruction." 

Stay safe. See you tomorrow.

#100DaysToOffload

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin