Thursday 16 May 2024

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day May 2024

A few days of sunshine have done wonders for the garden, I even sat out. All sorts of lovely things are showing off their colours and giving me delight. Besides the campion and forget-me-knots that have taken over several pots here are the other things that are enjoying the spring. Those purple ones above, I can't remember what they are called, but they self-seed quite readily and I am not sure where from because I don't recall buying it.
Below is the ivy-leaved toadflax, another wild thing that pops up all over but that is my favourite, it gets into all the nooks and crannies around the streets too.
Sweet William, that survived the winter and had suddenly come into flower when I went outside to take some photos (it is raining again today):
This is the dogwood, that is now a huge shrub, easily ten feet tall, the biggest thing in the garden. There was one single patch of flowers last year, but it is covered this year with buds on the verge of opening:
The dog rose, which is lovely but the flowers are so flimsy and they last only a few days before the wind or rain knocks all the petal off:
The brunnera that is hiding under the ivy puts out these lovely pale blue flowers, a tine delight by the back door:
And the ajuga has also survived the winter (and last year being swamped by the triffids so I don't know if they did much), it's another lovely one that hides in the shade just quietly doing it's own thing.
Say safe. Be kind. Visit some other gardens too, over at the Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, hosted by Carol.

9 comments:

  1. The garden changes day by day and survives, no matter what the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy GBBD. :) I found you on Carol's page. Is the dog rose a climbing rose? It is lovely, even if each bloom is fragile and lasts a short time. Beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, it probably would climb if it had something to climb up, my garden is very tiny so I have to keep stuff a bit under control:-)

      Delete
  3. I love the soft colors of your garden, Martine. The first flowering plant looks like a columbine (Aquilegia). It's beautiful and something I wish I could grow but it wants more water than my garden can provide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first plant (agreeing with Kris) may be a columbine. They come in many colors and your color happens to be one of my favorites. I'm also a big fan of brunnera. Your garden may be small but it still has a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Martine, you must be an English gardener--I have never seen toad flax in the USA, at least my area--it's such a charming little plant! I wondered if I bought some seeds, would it become a plague in my Virginia garden, and I'd live to regret it? No stone walls in my house, but plenty of brick if it wanted to colonize there. Any idea if it does grow on brick walls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't mean to be Anonymous, that was my comment above about toadflax. Also love your dogwood--is it the pagoda dogwood variety (Cornus alternifolia)? The flowers look like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dog rose. So delicate and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos, I always like Ivy Leaved Toadflax too, a lovely plant though it can take over i think

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.