Wednesday 21 April 2010

Giving up - not really a book review

The Ginger Man by J.P. Donleavy
"Feckless, unwashed, charming, penurious" is what it says on the back cover, and I should have heeded the warning. Dorothy Parker apparently loved it, calling it "lusty, violent, wildly funny" but I fear I must part company with her.
I read 50 pages and having flicked forward and read a few more snippets I find that it is going to continue in the same vein for the rest of the book so I am loath to waste any more reading time on it. I *cannot bear* Sebastian Dangerfield. Feckless is the perfect word to describe him, he really is without redeeming quality; selfish, lying, cheating, manipulative, thoughtless, inconsiderate, irresponsible ... I could go on, but even to do that would be to give him too much of my time. I can see that some readers might find his antics amusing, but not me. It doesn't happen often but I am officially giving up.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you didn't like this book, but glad Dorothy Parker did, since she's my homegirl--and I liked it, too. My husband read it for a class and got me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I had enough sense to give up on a lost cause book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin