Thursday 13 April 2023

K is for Kale

I don't have much space, and most things are in pots but I do like to try and grow some edibles too. Last summer I bought some Daubenton Kale from The Backyard Larder. It is a perennial vegetable; unlike most green leafy veg that you grow from seed each year this plant will survive the winter and continue to grow new leaves as you harvest them. I confess I have not used any over the winter and just left it to do its own thing. I have grown quite a few green leafy things; chard, purslane, corn salad and rocket, all of which I have had on the go since last summer and most even seem to have survived the winter, the chard has lots of new growth. I thought I would try a different veg this year so have planted some beetroot, and the slugs don't seem to have found the seedlings yet.
Linking back to the A to Z Challenge.

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter K
Stay safe. Be kind. Eat your greens.

3 comments:

  1. Returning your visit, I read some previous posts and am now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kale in Missouri always got decimated by caterpillars in the summer, but it was a good producer in the fall and into spring, if the winter wasn't too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy planting kale, it grows well and tastes delicious -- so much better than the kind bought at the grocery store :-)

    Ronel visiting for K:
    My Languishing TBR: K
    King of the Underworld: Hades

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.