Friday 12 January 2024

Nonsense

Monkey Sensei will have a job in Japan for at least another 19 months, so I am definitely going to get to visit next year, consequently I have redownloaded Human Japanese and started again from chapter 1. I had hoped it would all come rushing back, having learned all the hiragana two years ago ... but no, it's more like starting from scratch. Learning a new script is quite a challenge but in other ways Japanese is not a complicated language to learn. I like the chatty style of the programme and when discussing the complex vowel pronunciation rules in English the author comments that Japanese has none of this nonsense, each of the 5 vowels makes one sound, and it is not changed by the presence of other vowels or consonants combinations, so at least, though I struggle to remember which hiragana I am looking at, it's not hard to pronounce. 

After a very hectic December I am taking things easier now at work, taking time for the Japanese, going back to the gym, getting on with another crochet blanket and looking for some new interesting reading for 2024. As advised by many many mental wellbeing articles I am trying to focus more on the present moment as I go through my day so thought I would try taking photos of random stuff when I am out doing my delivery. Here, some lovely fungus on a fallen tree branch:



3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could have Facetime calls with your daughter in Japanese.
    I like the fungus - most attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the Japanese. They say the part of your brain that learns a language gets smaller with age, I believe they were referring to speaking a foreign language vs written; though I read the article some time ago and don't remember for sure. But, at my age I wouldn't attempt, so wish you lots of luck as you go forward. Fun to have a trip to look forward to. Making plans is often half the fun. The fungi is interesting. Hope you'll post pictures of your crochet projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with learning Japanese! I'm currently learning Scottish Gaelic which is quite the challenge....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.