Saturday, 29 August 2026

Become the Oldest

I started reading Pride and Prejudice to Claire the day in June when she fell out of bed and we spent many hours waiting, first for the carers, and then for the ambulance, and have pottered slowly through it occasionally while Nat was out walking the dog. Thursday I skipped over the middle and dashed ahead to Bingley's proposal and the wonderful visit by Lady De Bourgh to the Bennets. Who needs all that trauma with Lydia and Whickham, let's just have the happy ending. Gina arrived while I was reading. She has been absorbed and become one of the clan now; she nearly missed the chance for a final visit, offering to take care of Harshi and the children so Mat could come back last weekend.
 
Claire took her leave of us yesterday afternoon, making me, by default, the eldest child. I have become so subsumed by caring for her that I have found it hard to recall the person she was before this cancer stole her away. While sitting with her these last weeks we have been trawling boxes of old photos and this one of her playing badminton in the garden at Battlewell was the one that broke my heart, because this is the person I know. She has been there my entire life, I don't know what to do without her.
Claire Frampton 17/10/1962 - 28/08/2026
Stay safe. Be kind. Hold your loved ones close.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.