Thursday 4 October 2012

National Poetry Day

I was planning to post some poetry every day this week, but never mind. Today being National Poetry Day I decided I would share my favourite poem. This just means my favourite out of the poems that I happen to have come across, which in the grand scale of poetry is not really very many. It is by Natalie Clifford Barney, an American who lived her life in Paris and seems to be most famous for a literary salon that she hosted there through a large chunk of the 20th century. Until recently I knew nothing about her until I came across her wiki page, which is most enlightening. The poem is short and sweet and I love it mostly because of all that is unsaid. And because it is about the significance of sharing tea.


If you want me to stay with you
Lower your voice,
Pitch it
To the intimate moments
And let us have a  large pot
Of hot water with the tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin