Thursday 7 July 2022

Flying beasties

Lots of new things in the yard this afternoon. This one, buzzing furiously back and forth a few times, seems to be some kind of (parasitic) wasp, possibly a Ichneumon xanthorius

A female Small White butterfly passed through briefly and made my day, since butterfly visitors have been pretty much non-existent:

And this big fat 'fake' bee is (possibly) a Tapered Drone Fly. There are lots of things out there pretending to be bees, because who wouldn't want to be a bee.

I got very excited to see a bee flying away with a piece of leaf, and when I looked more closely at Alison's July Urban Bee guide I realised that this photo I posted the other day is very probably a Willughby's leafcutter bee:

I have been using this great website NatureSpot based in Leicestershire; it has a wonderfully comprehensive and helpful photo catalogue of UK insects and plants.
Stay safe. Be kind. Love the flying things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.