So this is the basic layout with a dark purple background and shades of green and yellow for the decoration.
After it has been wetted all over it looks a bit like this. You cover with more bubble wrap and rub all over gently so as not to mess up the design.
I got to this stage, when it has begun to shrink and hold together, and found that there were holes in it. So I turned it over and added another layer of purple on the back, re-wet everything and agitated it a bit longer.
The final piece has shrunk quite a lot, by about 40%. The final dimensions are about 11X11 inches, having been 20X18 when I laid out the roving. I am thinking of making a back piece to match and making it into a cushion. (waiting for M to use other computer so I can get at my photos)
The girls made book marks because they are obsessively reading the Twilght books. I only managed to distract them from reading because my stash of coloured roving was so tempting.