Monday 19 November 2012

The Night of Writing Dangerously

In NaNo-land, in sunny California, they have a fundraising event during the month of NaNoWriMo called "The Night of Writing Dangerously'. Now whilst our version of the event was not quite so luxurious, stylish or sparkly, we had fun nevertheless (isn't that a good word).
Creature likes to update her word count regularly, so to record our night's achievement we made a permanent record of our starting numbers at sundown:
mine:
 Creature:
I looked up sunrise, found to be 7.43am, and set an alarm that was to be our stopping point.
We decided on the 1000 word mark to be our first halt (she had to wait for me and was getting twitchy.) Tish came home from dancing class and pulled a face at the thought we had eaten all the sushi ... but we saved her some:
 Writing continued apace throughout:
Midnight marked cake time. I had made us a rice krispie cake to celebrate the half way point (though had well surpassed that by now). It was rather too sticky so much finger licking ensued:
We broke up the intensity of the night with some randomly selected episodes of Gilmore Girls, the 'basket buying' episode and the 'egging Jess' car' episode. Creature tried to insist we could write and watch, but laptops lay abandoned for a brief while (I worked out how to use the self timer on the camera too):
 During the early hours it began to get a little chilly so we snuggled up under the blanket. The slight blur here caused by the speed of our fingers vibrating the very foundations of the house:
We soldiered on, I was determined I was going to reach the 30,000 point before succumbing to sleep (Creature had been sure I would barely make it past 2am). The hours seemed to slip by once we got past 1am and we hardly noticed the tiredness. Tish popped back in around five and popped some more sushi as a early snack but left us to it. I finally began to flag and admitted defeat at around 6am and we decided to call it a night. Final totals were recorded:
mine:
 Creature:
Giving us a nightly word count of 5456 and 6275 respectively.
We retired to bed well pleased with ourselves.

The doorbell rang just after nine ... the men arrived to do the cavity wall insulation!

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing my first NaNo this year, and I'm having a lot of fun with it! I think that's precisely because it really forces you to crank out the words if you even want to be in contention. I maintain a daily quota for my usual writing, but NaNo really amps it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin