Saturday 6 March 2021

Think I'm Turning Japanese

 

I have been feeling sluggish and my leave has not been as productive as I intended, but yesterday Monkey coaxed me into doing the first chapter of Human Japanese, which was a gentle introduction to pronunciation in the Japanese language. Then this morning, while she did her Japanese homework I got on with chapter 2 (introduction to written Japanese) and then chapter 3 ... hiragana. And now I can read this:
It feels like huge progress in a couple of hours. I do read it very (very) slowly and have to visualise each hiragana and remember which group it is in and which vowel it is attached to, but I can do it. I am taking a break to write a blog post and knit a round of my Gaudi jumper and then will go back and try to write out again the 15 that I have learnt without looking at the screen. I am not sure when was the last time I made my brain work this hard.
Outside lovely things are happening. I hung out my bedding (not that it's sunny, but being outside makes it smell nice) and just looked for signs among all the brown, wizened, and twiggy plants. A caterpillar on the top of the plum tree (which does have little buds):
Bulbs that I planted around the plum tree but can't recall what they are , so that will be a nice surprise when they flower:
And buds on the physocarpus opulifolius that I planted back in September:
Stay safe. Be kind. See you tomorrow.
(line 1: a, i, u, e, o. line 2: ka, ki, ku, ke, ko. line 3: ga, gi, gu, ge, go. line 4: sa, shi, su, se, so. line 5: za, ji, zu, ze, zo.)


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fun and very challenging language endeavor. I learned the Cyrillic alphabet years back, but it was nothing like this. And the garden buds and sprouts are so hopeful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin