Sunday 26 June 2011

In need of a bedside bookcase

I really need a better system for my TRB (to be read) pile. I should make a list, prioritise ... or at least finish one book before I start the next.

Books that I am in the process of reading:
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (just a few chapters in)
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (this has been the 'breakfast table' book since I joined a readalong back in September last year, though I am past page 900)
The Ballad of Peckham Rye by Muriel Spark (it is small and thin and got lost under something else)
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (short stories that I lent to mum part way through, enjoying dipping in)
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, just a fascinating book, but also very long, nearly down to the last 100 pages, this is my bedtime read.
The Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks is my bus book at the moment, picked up after enjoying The Wasp Factory so much.

The trouble is that the bigger the pile gets the more older things get relegated. I borrowed A.S. Byatt's The Children's Book from mum and really want to read that, but I keep thinking it should be somewhere down the queue, after stuff that I bought two years ago?
The pile has to be nice and tall to make sure the jelly babies are easily accessible though the lamp is still too low down to be helpful when I turn off the main light.


And I realised this morning that Creature (the daughter formerly known as M) has officially left 'school'. As of the last Friday in June she is no longer required to justify her time to anyone from the LEA. Over the years we have had a variety of ignorant intrusive visitors wanting to know what the children were getting up to, and mostly failing to get to grips with alternative ideas about learning outside the formal schooling system.
That reminds me that I have plans to move stuff from my now closed STB website onto some pages attached here. Also just for nostalgia sake to add a link to my first ever website, called unsurprisingly Silencing The Bell, that is still accessible via a web archive.

3 comments:

  1. that picture makes me feel less guilty, my bedside area is similarly difficult to access because of the book foothills... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for jelly babies!:-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she has officially left "school" do you get to do a one person graduation? I bet you could come up with something fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin