Monday 19 June 2023

Bugs and all that

This large red damselfly was spotted in the garden back at the end of May, and it's the first time I have seen anything dragonfly-ish. The British Dragonfly Society has a very informative and helpful website if you want to identify flying beasties of this kind.
This little critter below was on the little table this afternoon while I was potting up some seedlings. My best guess is a leafhopper. The British Bugs website helped me out identifying this one, I just clicked around the gallery until I found what was most similar. It is an excellent site, lots of detailed photos and general information about bugs (Hemiptera):
The leaves of the random wildflowers in the with crab apple tree have been particularly targeted by the leaf cutter bees but I had not seen any, and in fact was worried it was just the dreaded vine weevils which also do something similar:
Then I spotted one, but it flew off before I could get a photo. I was about to give up when it came back for another bite. The bee guide says it is a patchwork leaf cutter bee, easy to identify by the orange pollen brush on it's underside (clearly seen if you look close): 
Stay safe. Be kind. Love all the bugs.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.