Monday 12 June 2023

Saving the bees for 30 Days Wild

After an hour of watering I sat and watched more bees than I saw on the wildflower meadow at the Eden Project and felt very smug. This, I discover, is probably trailing bellflower, a type of campanula, that covers my walls and is the favourite haunt of the bees. So we had honey bees:
tree bumblebees:
what I think, from Alison at Urban Bees June Guide, is a vestal cuckoo bee (they are more common than other similar species):
I had to keep a close eye on them because the spiders were on the prowl, twice attracted by the nearby vibrations to dart out towards a foraging bee. This huge one (meaning probably female) living by the insect hotel:
and this smaller red one on the dog rose (though they are probably both common garden spiders):
I also saw lots of furrow bees and what I hope might have been a mining bee of some kind. I didn't want to leave him to get my camera but just watched him, not on the flowers but munching the edge of a geranium leaf. I am excited to spend more time watching over the next few weeks and see what new species might visit.
Stay safe. Be kind. Spread some bee love.

3 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to see so many bees, I find bees difficult to identify - buff-tailed and white-tailed are almost interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it drives me crazy that the guides aren't more specific about how to tell similar ones apart. I am opening multiple nature websites and seeing if any have a better description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've even heard of furrow bees! As to White Tailed and Buff Tailed, even experts will often not know which specific species an individual is (it's acceptable to record a bee as "Buff / White Tailed Bumblebee" in many official surveys).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.