Thursday 14 April 2022

K is for Kiss, L is for Lemon Cake

Dunk suggested kiss for K but I find that I do not have a picture of us kissing, maybe we don't kiss enough. Kissing gives me joy. Even a text with a kiss emoji can do the trick. Back in 2016, the last time I did the A to Z Challenge, I did art as my theme, so I thought I would revisit one that I love to illustrate the kiss, which is The Kiss by Gustav Klimt. I learn from his wikipedia page that he died during the 1918 pandemic, which made me pause and feel sad, even though it was so long ago. I trust that many people continue to get joy from his paintings as I do.

Cake generally gives me much joy, but lemon cake has to be the best, it is the tart/sweet thing that it has going on. We use a recipe from my very old Cranks cookbook (though it doesn't appear to be on their website). The picture shows the purist version, nowadays we make two layers and sandwich them together with lemon water icing and then drizzle more over the top.

Linking back to the A to Z Challenge.
Stay safe. Be kind. Eat cake.

3 comments:

  1. What a treasure trove (and new to me) Cranks website is!

    This post is full of interesting tidbits: I somehow thought that Klimt was still alive during WWII; It does give one pause to put a name to a victim of that past pandemic.

    And the idea to sandwich this cake (for which you might post the recipe?) I might try lovely lemon curd with it. yummmm

    Thanks for the fascinating post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Debbie, I should have linked, in fact I will add it to the post. go here:
    https://silencingthebell.blogspot.com/2011/10/luscious-lemon-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a slice of lemon cake right now.

    That kiss painting is quite famous but I think I prefer the complete version than this cropped version. I think art can sometimes be interpret differently when some elements are removed.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.