Thursday 28 April 2022

X is for X-Ray


Mammograms are not fun, they are just something you do to protect yourself. I went last week and this letter arrived yesterday. Being told that you don't have breast cancer is definitely a cause for joy. Mammograms are a double edged sword however as they can also diagnose cancers that would never spread and are not life threatening. A proportion of women diagnosed thus will be treated for cancers that would never have done them harm. When I got my mammogram invite I also received an invite to join some research into breast cancer screening. Currently all women between 50 and 70 are screened routinely every three years. The research is looking into the idea of screening based on risk factors rather than treating all women the same, so some women will be screened more, some less. I have been allocated to the "risk-stratified breast cancer screening" group and will be having a DNA test and an interview to assess my cancer risk. So we will wait and see what the future holds for me and my boobs.


Stay safe. Be kind. Get screened.

2 comments:

  1. Breast cancer is a widespread issue everywhere. I just wish there will be nothing worrisome for u. Take care

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good study to be part of. So true the importance of getting screened. A necessary "evil" to undergone the testing for sure.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.