Saturday 30 April 2022

Z is for Zygote

 

Don't you just love the idea that each one of us was once a single celled organism. Each one of my lovely children were once a zygote, even my twins, who are di-zygotic, having been formed from two separate ova. It feels like an astounding process to go from this to a fully fledged adult. 
I love this photo, taken at my parents 60th wedding anniversary party, and I am filled with warm contentment and gratitude that they made it over the major hurdles and have grown into such wonderful human beings. A couple of weeks ago I read this article in the Guardian, by a woman describing how she handles the fact that she is no longer central to her son's life, it affected me quite sharply. You spend many years nurturing and caring for them, with the intention of making yourself redundant, but it still comes as a bit of a shock when it happens. Monkey's recent departure for the other side of the world feels as if it has marked a moment when my job is done. 

Linking back to the A to Z Challenge.

Stay safe. Be kind. Let them go.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! What a great way to finish the challenge! Beautiful/handsome children you have been blessed with! So true when they are grown and we have become redundant it is hard sometimes to let them go. We did our jobs and it looks like you did your job well with your children but it is so hard to let them go :) Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    betty
    https://benchsnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not thought of coming from being a single celled organism to now. It's kind of weird to think about it plus it always seems like if you think about the beginning of your life, you will likely think about where you'll end up at the end. I prefer not to think of either too much or else I end up worrying for no reason.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.