Wednesday 20 April 2022

Q is for Quitting


Giving yourself permission to not do stuff is very liberating. Three years ago I made a new year resolution to not beat myself up about stuff, and it has been the most successful resolution. If I have crafty projects hanging around unfinished, I don't beat myself up about it. If I don't want to finish a book, that's fine too. I glanced out of the window at the yard quite a lot over the last few months, but I didn't go out, I stayed in the warm and dry. I have earned less money this past year, because I have worked less overtime, allowing myself to say no, to have my days off. (I occasionally debate quitting my job, but there are no particularly desirable alternatives.) We joined the gym after the first lockdown, and we go regularly, but if I don't feel like going it's no big deal; I give myself permission to spend the afternoon on the sofa. I try to eat reasonably healthily, and cook proper food, but after a late shift, it's okay to order a pizza. I also like not quitting. Years ago, under duress, I cut down the sugar in my tea from two spoons to one spoon, but there is no way I am giving up the rest. 

Linking back to the A to Z Challenge.
Stay safe. Be kind. Quit beating yourself up.

3 comments:

  1. It's ok to temporarily quit....we all need that mental space and relief...good reminder u gave


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, giving up on something is hard, and i think that's becasue we are inculcated that if we quite, we fail. And that's not always the case. We need to learn that somethimes, quitting is really the best thing we can do for ourselves and for the people around us.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Enter the New Woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing, almost. I think it's okay to quit whatever you do not feel comfortable continuing. Of course quitting something doesn't mean you can't go back to it later. That's the beauty of decision making, nothing is set in stone you can't go back to it.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.