Monday 18 April 2022

O is for Octopus and Ospreys

Back in 2020 we (along with thousands of other people) watched the arrival, raising and then departure of three osprey chicks from a nest at Lock Arkaig in Scotland. The osprey cam was the highlight of the lockdown and watching the parents Louis and Aila work so hard and share their family's life was joyful. I used to just have the webcam on while I was doing other things and look up when one or other of them arrived with a fish for the chicks. 
Last year nobody used the nest that had been occupied for several years, but happily Louis and a new ladyfriend, Dorcha, have a new site and a new camera has been installed. I don't think eggs have been laid yet as nobody is sitting so you can watch the whole process between now and July. What I particularly love is the way they are slightly ungainly as they potter around on the nest, compared to how elegant they are in flight. Go to the osprey cam page on the Woodland Trust website and watch. 

Then a post entitled Octopus Empire arrived in my inbox from The Marginalian, which led me, as the interweb is wont to do, to the wikipedia page for Octopuses, which inevitably reminded me of My Octopus Teacher. It is the most remarkable film, which you can watch on Netflix, and in my humble opinion made the subscription worthwhile. Here is the trailer:


Stay safe. Be kind. Befriend an octopus, or failing that, whatever creature comes your way.

3 comments:

  1. Not knowing much about ospreys, I enjoyed this post (the chicks are so adorable) and absolutely loved the octopus video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to follow you but couldn't figure out the gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cam seems such a good idea.. and it doesnt seem to disturb the birds which is a good thing. I will definitely watch My Octopus Teacher .. if i can see it here. Stopping by via the AtoZ master list. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin