Monday 3 April 2023

B is for Brunnera

While my yard is mostly concrete I do have a very narrow raised flowerbed down the side wall that separates us from next door. The bottom corner by the back door faces west and only gets much sunshine at the height of summer. Brunnera are great plants for shady damp corners. This is not a very good shot of my poor brunnera as it is currently rather swamped by two huge foxgloves (that I very much hope might actually flower this year), it would probably get much bushier if it had the space. It has lovely silvery leaves and delightful tiny blue flowers (this is it flowering right now, not an old photo from last year) somewhat similar to forget-me-nots:
The best thing about brunnera is that the leaves are somewhat rough and hairy and not at all palatable to the slugs. I put a hosta in the same spot and it was eaten within the week. I did catch a big slug on the brunnera when I first planted it out but it has not been bothered by them since. I would highly recommend it as a low maintenance plant that will put up with not much space or sunshine.
Linking back to the A to Z Challenge.

#AtoZChallenge 2023 badge
Stay safe. Be kind. Love the shade as well as the sunshine.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to add this to my garden in spring :-)

    Ronel visiting for B:
    My Languishing TBR: B
    Birds of Faerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if this would work in the middle of my hostas?

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.