Wednesday 26 April 2023

V is for Vine Weevil

V is for the dreaded vine weevil. Again, I thought they were kind of cute when I first encountered one ... but that was before the heuchera decimation. I discovered Heucheraholics in 2021. They are delightfully curly and come in this huge array of leaf colours. I was hooked. I bought quite a few, and they were lovely for a summer. But vine weevils are particularly fond of heucheras and they all died (the grubs eat the roots until your plant on the top just comes away in your hand). The adults eat other stuff, and on reflection it may have been them munching the fuchsia leaves.
But they got their comeuppance when one of their number (I have in fact found several in the kitchen) found itself in a spider's web under the kitchen cabinet. For three days it hung there while the spider, about a quarter of its size, approached from time to time to see if it had weakened. Tish made a film of the epic struggle but I can't find it now. Every day I came home from work to see if it had succumbed. And then it was gone. Whether it was eaten or whether in the end it managed to wriggle free I don't know. I like to think it kept that spider well fed for a week.
Violas on the other hand are a complete delight, flowering on for months and surviving the winter to flower another year.
Linking back to the A to Z Challenge.

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter V
Stay safe. Be kind. (But not to vine weevils).

1 comment:

  1. All things have their place in the cosmos - it's just sometimes difficult seeing where (and why)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.