Tuesday 4 April 2023

C is for Cucamelon

I have attempted to grow cucamelons for the last few years. The second attempt gave me two plants that I put outside in the garden but we are maybe a little far north and not warm enough for them to flourish. Last year one seedling really took off and became my utter joy of the summer, totally taking over the kitchen windowsill. It has those adorable little tendrils that grip onto whatever they come into contact with. It produces tiny yellow flowers that should become grape sized fruits that resemble tiny watermelons but taste (apparently) like minty cucumbers. My plant was covered in these tiny baby cucamelons but because the plant was indoors they had possibly not been fertilised and they never grew. I read somewhere that you can overwinter the corm that develops at the roots and it will  regrow, so it sat in its pot in the corner of the kitchen and I have recently soaked it and put it back on the windowsill ... time will tell ... but I have also ordered more seeds.
Linking back to the A to Z challenge.
#AtoZChallenge 2023 badge
Stay safe. Be kind. Grow something weird.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.