Wednesday 19 April 2023

P is for Plum

Back in the autumn of 2020 I ordered a bare root plum tree from Chris Bowers. It looked a bit like a big twig but I rushed to the garden centre for compost and planted it.
Spring 2021 I had a tiny amount of blossom. It was a delight.
By 2022 it looked like this, about 5 feet or so. There was loads of blossom that spring but the tiny buds that formed just dried out and dropped off.
In the autumn the leaves were a delight, nearly as lovely as the acers:
When it went dormant I potted it up into a half barrel, which will be its permanent home. It is on what is termed dwarf rootstock so will only grow to about 8 feet tall.
This spring it has been smothered in blossom and I am very hopeful of fruit this year.
Linking back to the A to Z Challenge.

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter P
Stay safe. Be kind. Too late for a postal vote, apply now for a proxy if you can't get to a polling station.

5 comments:

  1. Pear blossom is very pretty but the flowers don't translate into fruit. We have masses of blossom and very few pears- in single figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got blossoms on our plum tree too! Hoping for a good harvest this fall.
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side, A to Z of Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have be able to grow that and certainly in involves a lot of patience I would imagine. Such lovely blossom.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainly I have found that growing things takes very little effort or skill on my part. Just add water. (Though I confess I do walk round the yard and talk to them too, asking how they are doing and praising the ones that are looking particularly fine.)

      Delete
  4. So pretty! My plum trees bring me loads of joy.

    Ronel visiting for P:
    My Languishing TBR: P
    Playful Phoukas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions (reading or otherwise) always most welcome.